September 30, 2008

Feeling Alien...

So far, I've had a pretty positive experience with my co-teachers and co-workers. Everyone has been very kind to me and have made it apparent that they welcome me into their school. However, Korean culture (or Asian culture in general), is quite masterful at masking any disagreeable feelings or opinions. "Saving face."

I was googling my school and came across an article written by my head co-teacher. Please take a moment to read it: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2008/09/162_14226.html

Imagine my surprise, apprehension, dejection as I stared blankly at the screen. Teacher Kang, my Teacher Kang, so adamantly against foreign native English-speaking teachers? Granted, she has a most relevant argument. Frankly, I felt a bit obtrusive as I stepped into the school, a brand spanking new teacher with no teaching experience whatsoever, trying to teach a group of rowdy, hormonal middle schoolers. Here I was, neophyte in every sense of the word, working beside a group of teachers with over 75 collective years of experience. Who do I think I am?

At this moment I figure I can take this in one of two ways. The first would be to hang my head as well as my enthusiasm and fold under the pressure. The second is to kick ass and show her who's got game. I always did enjoy shooting game-determining free throws -- all eyes on you, half of them want you to fail, the other half placing all their hopes on you. Life's a game, and if Teacher Kang wants to play, oh, a game she shall get.

That's a bit aggressive. My master plan is just to show her that perhaps it's worth it to have a native English speaker in the school. Here we go.

1 comment:

JHK said...

why cant i become your blog follower?