October 16, 2008

Unknown Relish


In a city like Seoul, you come across all types of people, behavior and events. Yet it's funny how in a place of new encounters, everything reminds you of something familiar. We all do it. Try to make the unknown known, by neatly placing it in a box labeled with something from our past. Man has a tendency to name everything so as to make it familiar, less foreign. It's time to leave some things alone -- to leave them unknown -- and to just live.

The other day, a woman asked me for directions. When you're in a new place, it makes you feel great when someone does that. Lets you know that you've succeeded in fooling the natives -- at least physically and superficially. The second I opened my mouth to let her know I couldn't help her, I got the "Oh, so you're not from here" stare. Incidentally, later that day, another woman asked me for directions and with supreme confidence, I was able to ease her mind as I gave her the necessary information. Direction redemption!

No comments: