November 20, 2008

ice ice baby

It's incredibly cold here. this morning, I walked past the koi pond at my complex and the water was frozen over. I looked to see how the fish were doing, but couldn't see due to the thick layer of ice. It seems colder because you walk everywhere.

My classroom is nice and toasty once the heater gets going. However, the minute i step into the hallway, i can see my breath and my nose hairs start shivering. I don't know how my girl students do it. They wear skirts (part of their uniform) to school. Some wear tights, but others wear only thin, nylon stockings. I wear tights, knee high socks, boots, pants, and three layers of clothing plus my coat and still I feel cold.

I played a rousing game of badminton with some co-workers today and didn't even break a sweat. It was that cold. There's no heater in the gym. Also, they make the kids run around outside during gym time. Tough as nails, them little 'uns.

This is really an uninteresting and poorly thought-out post. Apologies.

1 comment:

psychedelic said...

I remember, back in Korea, entering an ice-cold classroom every morning . I hated it so much because it would take hours to heat up the room. One thing I loved about schools in the states is that they leave the heaters on overnight. Genius!

Hope you survive your first Korean winter. It's brutal, especially because you now have to walk to everywhere. Stay warm :)