December 22, 2008

wrap up


The end of my first semester draws near. I've got one day of teaching left before Christmas, as I'll be going to Lotte World with the first graders on Wednesday. It's hard to believe I got through a semester alive and in tact. The first two days were utterly grueling. I remember the very first class and the bewilderment and doubt I felt, questioning what I had gotten myself into. The first day was rainy, my ride came an hour and a half late, and the curious stares I received seemed pointed and accusing -- that I wasn't a white face. Now, I like to think that like Henry Higgins, my students have grown accustomed to my face (anything for an Audrey Hepburn analogy). For kicks, here is a list of the top ten most memorable moments of my first semester at Bongwon Middle School.


ten. The first time I made students do pushups for punishment.
nine. The first happy hour I attended with the teachers. I saw both my principal and vice-principal turn quite happy in that hour.
eight. The countless "I love you's" I've received this semester. One of the funniest things a boy said to me was "Teacher, I'm sorry but, uh, I love you. Please give me candy."
seven. Halloween. Think, Children of the Corn, except with dark hair and dark eyes. Think, fifty of those little demons coming at you, shouting, "trip-or-treat!" One student in particular, a pudgy little boy who bore a strong resemblence to Piggy from Lord of the Flies (again, with dark hair and eyes), tried to get more than his share of candy. I allowed one piece per student and this boy came back a third time before I recognized him. So, I marked his hand with an "X." He came back a fourth time, holding out his other hand -- which I then marked with another "X." He came back a fifth time, having gone to the bathroom to wash off the "X's." If only he could be so persistent in learning English...
six. The power of beauty. I was skyping with my sister in my classroom when some of my boy students came to visit. They saw her and were smitten. All they could talk about with Teacher Linda's American sister. One of them came up to me the next day and asked if he could marry her. I told him if he practices English diligently, he might have a chance. He's been a good student since.
five. I was shocked, appaled, bewildered by the excessive amount of cursing my students showed. "F***!" "Oh sh**!" They love cursing in English. An advanced female student gave me a Christmas card, in which she wrote: ...Our students are very kind and nice. But they can't speak English very well. So we say in Korean, "Thank you, Linda. We had a very nice time." And they don't know what they are saying. Like "F*ck y*u", "S*n of the *i*ch" They are not mean to say that word. They know only that words. So, don't be mad to them..." How can I after a plea like that?
four. Having to introduce myself to all the staff. They stood me next to the vice-principal's desk in front of the whole office and handed me a mic. I made the short, obligatory "happy to be here" speech and gave the 90 degree bow. They clapped. I was mortified.
three. Playing badminton with my co.workers. I've been hit in the head with the shuttlecock more times than I'd like to count, but I have a hell of a good time. It's just a great sport that everyone in the states should pick up so that we can play when I get back.
two. Korean students are rowdy. One time in my classroom, before class began, this boy pretty much body slammed another boy to the ground. Everyone was laughing, but the boy on the ground wasn't moving. Terrified, I ran over to him, afraid for the worst. The students became silent. When I turned the boy over, he started laughing hysterically. I should've slapped the both of them. Instead, I made them do pushups, then made them face the wall with their hands in the air for ten minutes.
one. Dancing. Embarrassing. Humiliating. Humbling? I danced once for the teacher's version of the Wondergirls "So Hot" video. Don't ask me how I was, because basketball, I can do. Dancing? I'm stiff as a rock and my feet seem to lose any rhythmn. Then another time I had to dance in front of all the third graders along with the other third grade teachers to a Korean oldie. It wasn't pretty.


All in all, it was a great first semester. I'm still pretty sure I'm not cut out to be a teacher, but I'm enjoying the ride for now.

No comments: