July 31, 2009

basketball: part two


Over the years, basketball has provided for me various opportunities to experience various roles. I've been the scum, cockroach of a team, the middle "man," the top dawg, as well as coach. These different roles have allowed me to appreciate the uniqueness of a unit. As scummy or as low as we feel, we all have something to offer in the larger scheme of things. And as important as we perceive ourselves, we must remember that we do not achieve great things on our own or through our own power. Looking back at all the teams I've been privileged to be a part of, each one has been a distinctive, memorable learning experience.

Usually, I find myself to be the only girl on the basketball court. I enjoy the relationships I develop with members of the opposite sex while playing basketball. However, as much as I love simply playing, I yearn for the camaraderie of gals on a team. The concept of "team" is so important in the sport. I feel a wave of nostalgia... I miss... grueling practices, team drills, sharing Ben-gay after a tough tournament, traveling together, laughing together, being coached, elation over new uniforms, excitement and anxiety before games, bus rides...

Playing in college for one of the top teams in the DIII South Region taught me a vital lesson in the concept of "team." Till then, I had been one of the top players of many underperforming teams. In college, I was the scrubbiest of scrubs. I was the player they stick in during the last 30 seconds of a game so that the starters can receive their well-deserved round of applause from the audience. Although I had been playing organized basketball for six years up to that point, being at the bottom of the barrel was a first. I realized as much as I couldn't contribute during game time, the scrubs really were needed to create the best team possible. I could feel a different kind of pressure during the practices to perform well, not for myself this time, but for the team. Every layup drill, every offensive and defensive set run through, every suicide run, I had to push myself to push the team. This was where I learned the true meaning of "a team is only as strong as its weakest link." Cliche!

One other basketball experience I'll share is the time I coached a church youth basketball team. This was a group of girls who had never played organized basketball before. Yet, the resiliency, the determination and also, the pure-hearted goodness of each girl was amazingly touching. I pushed them to the limit and each time they responded with perseverance and graciousness. This was a team that I was immensely proud of and from this group of girls I learned that true grit and good attitudes far exceed skill level when it comes to success.

As I try to adapt my basketball experiences into my everyday life, I can see just how each of us is needed to contribute to the diversity of human life. Perhaps some of us will never have an opportunity to be a leader, or others may constantly be put into that position, yet if we can trust in something bigger, we can use our circumstance to strengthen the whole. When we are called to be followers, we should follow with wisdom, encouragement and hope. When we are called to be leaders, we should lead with courage, honesty and discernment. It is just as difficult to be a good follower as it is to be a good leader. I've been on both sides, and will look forward to the next time I am called to be a part of a team... esprit de corps!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so true - honestly, i think you're a better person than i am, i never took being at the bottom very well (even though in all reality, i've been there a lot of the time) - like you said, its just as hard, if not harder (and more admirable to me) to follow than to lead - and both are equally as important. (gotta love cliches!)