November 10, 2009

for today and for tomorrow...


I've been here for over a full year now. When I first got here last year, I saw the trees lining the curved road to my school in their late summer bold green dress. They changed into their autumn outfits of brilliant reds, oranges, browns and yellows. Then they blanketed themselves in sparkling white snow, hidden cozily under layers of fluff. Again renewed, they blossomed into soft whites and pinks, coyly dancing for the students with every whisper of a wind. Now, I'm seeing them slip into their fall clothes again. It's unbelievable. I've been here over a year.

You'd think that in a year, I'd have changed some. One of the most common questions I've been asked is "Has your Korean improved?" Sadly, it has not. I haven't become wiser, more patient, smarter, richer... You'd think I'd be quite down about this. But I have learned a few things -- mostly about myself, what I want, what I desire.

Our twenties are some hectic times, aren't they? Most of the conversations I have with friends revolve around unfulfilled dreams, naive regrets, finding the meaning in life, potential prospects and inevitably, marriage. I'm enjoying these conversations because I know that they are momentary. They are exciting. They are unsure. Soon, most of us will be settled down and our conversations will certainly venture into the cliche of mortgages, children and retirement plans. Until then, let's enjoy those discussions that induce our deepest uncertainties and cherished dreams.
Ad vitam paramus!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ROCK ON!

growth is not visible... even within a great year. look at a tree! youre like a tree!

CASH MONEY!