March 23, 2010

so, senator... so janitor...

...so long for a while, remember you're never fully dressed without a smile!

Sometimes, I'll look upon the expectant faces of a class and feel utterly exposed. I haven't prepared enough. I'm not as funny as I think I am. I am a fraud of a teacher. Some young faces will do that to you. The bored ones. The sullen ones. The hurt ones. Yet other faces bring a rush of pure joy. Some of these faces are just so bright, so sparkling with life and happiness that they can truly turn a dreary day right around.

Every day I try to remind myself that it's the unlit faces that need the most love. They're gray for a reason. As one of the teachers put it, "They're just asking for love without really asking..." During a difficult class or towards the end of the day, it's difficult to remain perky and energetic and the overwhelming desire to jump into a warm bed with the smell of a nice campfire lingering in the air and the knowledge of hot tea on the bedside table can be maddeningly seductive. However, the class must be taught -- the show must go on. And it must be taught well and go on with a smile. So I imagine Annie while little dancing figures in my head remind me to enjoy my current post and to relish in the envelopment of youth... or fear becoming like Miss Hannigan!


No comments: