November 5, 2008

november fourth


When you live in Seoul, sometimes you feel trapped in the bubble that the city creates for you. You feel a bit isolated from the rest of the world. However, the historic political race in the states has reached Seoul, even permeating into my little Bongwon Middle School. As I played the live coverage on the computer onto the projector, my students ran into my classroom to see what the commotion was. "Obama! Obama!" they cried. Certainly, Barack Obama is electrifying in his speech. But it hit me what hope people have in this man, this one man. Even my little Korean students, with their funny little haircuts and cute little uniforms were speaking to me in their little broken English, "I like-uh Obama!" Obama is indeed a vehicle for change and hope. It's amazing to be a part of such an amazing and historic point in U.S. history.


So, while on the topic of politics, I've scoured the internet for the "recent" pictures of Kim Jong Il. Is it sick to say I experience an odd-but-not-perverse curiosity about this man? He's that tall, dark and handsome guy that no one knows anything about... minus the tall... dark... or handsome... I guess it's more of like an "attraction" to the Elephant Man.

No comments: