February 15, 2009

going...

It's 7.25 am.

As soon as my tuktuk gets here, I'll head to the bus station and board a bus toward Siem Reap. I''m making a stop for a day at Phom Toung (I think that's what it's called). It's been quite an adventure so far in Phnom Penh, but I realize, two days here is enough.

Now must run!

It's 7.25 pm

No, I didn't plan it this way. I was planning on stopping in Khompong Toung, but I guess I missed the stop. No complaints though. I'm in Siem Reap ahead of schedule and kind of at a loss for what to do.

My friend Mick and I discussed life and passion over Tiger Beer our last night in Phnom Penh. His love for art inspired me. His passion for painting overwhelmed him to a point where I could see him almost in a trance as he discussed lines, colors and landscapes. He couldn't wait to get back to it. I envied him terribly. To love something so much... to always want to return to it... to let the passion consume you in your daily life. Is it too "bohemian," too unrealistic? I hope not. I only hope to find that passion in my life again.

The bus ride here was long and tiring. The road was rocky, to say the least, and the bus was in poor condition. However, the views of the countryside were breathtaking. Not in an awe.inspiring sort of way, but definitely eye.opening. I realized that no amount of money in the world would be able to rectify the abject poverty in these countries. To literally see naked little children playing in mud puddles and old men and women toiling in the rice fields reawakened a compassion that I had kept suppressed. At a rest stop, children ran up to me to buy their goods. I refused, but I did provide them with pictures. A friend lent me an instant camera for my trip and I was able to give the children pictures of themselves. They loved it so, and to hear their giggles was the highlight of my trip so far.

Travelling alone, my senses are heightened not only for danger, but for any chance of adventure. People, smells, sights... they all stream delightfully into me.

Exotic is the smell in the air.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love tiger beer. hooray for singaporian beers.