February 13, 2009

humid!

Arrived in Phnom Penh last night and as soon as I stepped off the plane, my hair was sizzled like bacon. A slew of Cambodians greeted me as I walked out... actually, they took no notice of me, but I pretended like they were welcoming me to their country.

I got to Sunday Guesthouse unscathed, with minimal conversation with my taxi driver. I told him his English was good and he got a good chuckle out of that.

This morning, I departed via tuktuk on a whirlwind tour of the city. As someone mentioned, I met a travel buddy right away. His name is Mick (like Jagger), he's in construction and hails from Cambridge, England. Probably in his late 40's, he somehow made tons of money in the construction business and has all this time to pursue his passion: painting. He's a bonafide artist and finds beauty in landscapes. He's the first in my karass.

Our tuktuk driver, Jet, took us first to the Killing Fields. The tower of skulls was mortifying, yet the whole place was eeriely peaceful. I made the mistake of shaking hands with these kids who then proceeded to beg for money. Money I did not offer, but did give them a pen so that they could study harder.

We then went to the Genocide Museum, which broke my heart. How a human being could treat another human being in such ways is truly unthinkable.

The next stop was the Russian Market, followed by Royal Palace, the Traditional Market and then some Wat.

I'm really, pretty tired... but travel... travel... travel is quite fantastic.

1 comment:

JHK said...

russian market....<3

be safe have fun!