March 3, 2009

save face


It's ironic that I've had to concern myself more with my face than I've had to before my freckle-removal procedure. The thing that sucks the most is that it adds an unprecedented fifteen minutes to my preparation time in the morning. Sunscreen, BB cream, powder -- it's a hassle I've never had to deal with before and it's driving me crazy. Living in Korea, the importance of appearance weighs heavily on you, especially if you're a female. I'm used to getting mixed reviews on my looks, and have come to terms with my outward appearance, since it's really nothing I can control. However, for kicks, here are some comments I've received during my short time in Korea.

1. "I rather look like Linda teacher than be pretty."
2. "You'd be pretty if you tried."
3. "I don't like you because you are ugly."
4. "What happened to your face?"
5. "You're twenty-seven. You should've started wearing make-up eight years ago."
6. "Why do you look like that?"
7. "What's wrong with your face?"

No joke, I've heard all these in either Korean or broken English. I tell you, if I had no sense of humor, I'd be at the plastic surgeon's right this minute. Despite all this, I love Korea!

On another note. Back in the states, my method of driving on the highway was to simply catch up to the car in front of me. I approach my walk in the subways of Korea in the same manner. Sometimes, I don't think the people in front like it so much.

No comments: