March 18, 2009

west in the east


As a Korean American in Korea, I am undoubtedly disgusted with various indiscretions of native Koreans. Whether it be the blatant acceptance of marital infidelity or the sensationalism of a star's suicide, I worry about the state of the country and its people. Then I get to thinking... what right have I to worry so?

Although I grew up in a Korean household, I approach the Korean culture with an American mindset. Who am I to complain about the downfalls of Korean society when there are just as many, if not more in the states? Isn't the modernization of Korea based on following American style, flavor and attitude? Maybe that's too much of a generalization.

I suppose my level of disgust stems from the fact that these people are "my people." The actions I see from Koreans doesn't shock me half as much when I see them carried out by Americans. Yet, amazingly, I'm in a country where I am in the majority, and these people are all connected to me in one way or another. I see my grandmother in the helpless face of a homeless woman. I see my mother's exhaustion in the curved back of the janitor wiping the subway turnstile. I see my father in the drunkenness of the men stumbling in the streets. It could quite easily be me or any of my family in these despondent situations and my heart, as discriminating as it sounds, is pained for these people... these Korean people. Sometimes, I feel powerless to make any sort of difference, big or small. Then, I remember that it's God who makes the difference, not me.

Korean or not, we all need a little Jesus, eh?

No comments: