July 14, 2009

raindrops on roses

"We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath." -Forrest Gump

It's monsoon season in Korea. At times, the rain really does seem to come straight up from underneath. The trick is to position your umbrella according to the kind of rain that happens to be falling at the moment. Admist the grayness, the plethora of umbrellas provide splashes of color to brighten even the grayest of days.

I often find myself taking the easy road in life. I try to avoid difficulty and manipulate my way past obstacles. This is a very bad pattern to follow. Times of trouble and hardship create character and strength of spirit. I wish I was braver, but I've got to work with what I've got. Recent conversations with some friends have shed new light on things in my life. I realize how edifying and encouraging words can be. How we have the ability, even so far as the responsibility, to empower our friends in any capacity.

Just as there are all sorts of rain, there are all sorts of advice. There's the kind that can sting a bit, slightly irritating because we know it's true. There's the kind of advice that can surprise us wholly, dismantling our neatly aligned beliefs. There's also the kind of advice that is refreshing, soothing and reassuring. The great thing about advice is that it's entirely up to you whether you choose to take it or not. Sometimes, we need to take the advice we're given and run with it.

Fold up your umbrella and run into the rain.

No comments: