September 1, 2009

...oops, there goes gravity


Back to reality. Funny how Korea has become my reality. I remember in the beginning, when it seemed that I was stuck in this crazy vortex of a city, wandering the streets wide-eyed and dazed. I got back last night at 6:30 PM, and came into work this morning by 7:00 AM. Surprisingly, I was overjoyed to see my students as well as my co-workers. I brought back boxes and boxes and boxes of the fat-free, low calorie, smart pop kettle corn, popcorn from Redenbacher's and they've been an absolute hit in the office. These 아줌마's are downing them like I was downing janx at the JOY wedding.

My time at home ended in a literal bang. It was just really great to see friends all gathered together for a celebration such as a wedding. I don't think anyone knows how to have more fun than my girlfriends in the states. How we end up always laughing and making the kinds of memories that we do, I'll never know, but we do! I was moved more than I thought I would be at the sight of my best friend floating down the aisle. She looked so unbelievably grown-up, I physically felt the distance between our life choices.

For two weeks, I was able to meet with friends and gather tidbits of information and catch glimpses of their current lives. Most have settled down... literally settled down into houses and mortgages. Amidst all of the "settlingness," I couldn't help but wonder how many of them were truly happy. Were they beyond any doubt satisfied with their choices? Were there any regrets? Any desire for the freedom before such mature commitments?

I worry for some of these friends and am elated for others. Wherever their hearts may lie, I sincerely hope that they find an inner happiness that will keep a smile on their faces even in the most difficult of times. A kind of joy that will be a consistent reminder to be thankful, gracious and loving through heartbreak, disappointment and malcontent. Cheers to joy.

No comments: