December 20, 2010

cultural differences


A few weeks ago, I started a "Culture" unit with my students. After discussions on "cultural barriers," "stereotypes," and "culture shock," I asked my Corean students to provide me with a list of the top five things I should observe about Corean culture. They were also to add one question about American culture they were curious about.

Here is a compiled list of various answers and questions I received. I hope you find them informative/amusing.

About Corean culture...
  • Older people eat. first.
  • Eat kimchi.
  • Eat dog meat.
  • Dead day, all family head down. (This refers to the tradition of ancestral worship on special holidays).
  • When you talk with older people, you cannot eye-contact.
  • When you drink Alchol, turn your face little bit to the left.
  • Wear Hanbok when special day.
  • Teacher hit me.
  • In home, take off shoes.
  • Special Korean education system. (Referring to 학권s as well as their cut.throat competitive ranking methods).
  • Use chopstick.
Questions about American culture...
  • Why are Americans fat?
  • Why Americans wear shoes in home?
  • What kind of cloth do American middle schoolers wear? (Since all Corean middle/high schoolers are required to wear their school uniforms).
  • Why do Americans like Paris Hilton?
  • Why Americans have gun?
Good questions, kids...

No comments: