September 16, 2011

my roommate

"For you, I'm only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, we'll need each other. You'll be the only boy in the world for me. I'll be the only fox in the world for you..." The Little Prince

Often, when I'm faced with a crisis (term used loosely, for a privileged one as me, what serious crisis could I have?), or contemplating various aspects of my life, I often refer back the
The Little Prince. Perhaps the simplest story in the world with the most honest and bittersweet answers to life. It's offered me many a hopeful word.

My little cat has fallen ill. To someone who has always been a bit scornful of those who pamper their pets, my day has come. I cannot believe how sad I am about Louis. She had an allergic reaction to something and has to ingest pills, endure stinging eye drops, and worst of all, has to wear a neck collar to prevent her from scratching or itching her face. To a creature born to roam freely and express her curiosity in the most unrestricted of ways, this seems to be utter confinement for her. She mopes around, still unused to the restrained movements. Her mews have gone from declarations and demands to pitiful requests. Her eyes are constantly downcast, tired, dejected.

I can scarcely believe this is the tiny beast who would jump onto my vanity and scatter all my hair products and make up onto the floor. The unbelievably energetic critter chewing up any loose papers, wreaking havoc in my already crammed and messy home. The unapologetic, stubborn little monster bellowing for her favorite canned tuna any time I opened the fridge.

That tiny energetic little beast is gone now. I feel completely incompetent as a pet owner, and have failed miserably as a roommate. I hope she gets better soon. Here's to better times...

1 comment:

lindsay said...

awww louis!!!! :(
you make me sneeze, you make me cry, you itch my nose, and make me sigh.
but i feel sad to you like that, feel better little one~

eemo-