December 19, 2011

words.



It's been a long time. A long time. A new job. A new home. A new cat. The same me.

Included in my new job is a generous helping of irony. You know, the kind of serving your
mom heaps onto your plate the weekend you're visiting home from college. I enjoy the work. Don't enjoy the hours. Enjoy my co.workers. Not so much my boss. Enjoy the location. Despise my computer that shuts down thrice a day and which the IT guys insist is a.okay.

Part of the job is to explain things in a simple, straight forward, no fuss manner. Easy enough. But the irony? Turns out, explaining the simple things is pretty damn difficult. How do you explain 'but' without using words that a non-English speaker could understand? Erm...

But it's like that in life too, isn't it? The simplest things seem the most difficult to express. The simplest things using the most lucid words, just doesn't seem to clear the line of simplicity. Herein we learn the great worth and value of words.

I've met people who have spoken great things, made great promises and flailed their arms in grandiose expressions. Their words encompassed a large amount of space and reached to the outer edges of their aura. Still, it was only an outline. There was nothing inside those words. A chasm of nothing. Emptiness.

I've met people who have spoken very little. Each word heavy with meaning and depth. These are the people who find it difficult to speak. They seem to know just how costly their words are, just how invaluable. They find other ways to express their unspoken words, often at the expense of their comfort, their ease.

I still fling my words around, hoping something will stick, something will have some bit of significance. I hope to learn soon to be one of those people. Those people who speak with great effort to employ a simple message with a simple few words.