July 24, 2013

hand of cards

In a little less than three hours, I officially start my summer vacation. Yet, seeing as it is that I really only get four official days off, there is no confetti to throw or horns to blare. Only, a seemingly endless two weeks ahead of summer camp during a sweltering summer in a school bent on saving costs by withholding AC privileges.

However, this is the hand I've chosen to play. The cards I've chosen in my own personal game of life. To remain in Corea, to forgo a "real" "grown-up" job, to live this constant, somewhat nomadic life. It's the choices I've made that have brought me to this strange crossroads, where I must determine the future cards I cast away or pick up. And that's the thing with life, isn't it? You see the cards in your hand, and know which ones you're throwing away. Yet you will never know if throwing those cards away were a mistake until the end of the game. The cards you pick up, well, those, you don't even know if they will be a heart, spade, diamond, or club. The unknown.

but honest

No comments: