February 25, 2010

the impossible dream

I have a friend who is a sports fanatic. I'm talking really severe. After Yuna's breathtaking performance he sent me no less than six e-mails within 24 hours with various news articles and video clips about Yuna. Thing is, this is totally understandable. If you've read any article about her, you know that she is an absolute sensation in Corea. The only thing I disagree about with in those articles is the amount of "pressure" this country puts on her. Yes, there are expectations for her to win gold, but those expectations are based more on hope, rather than demand. Coreans are extremely proud of her regardless.

Sometimes, my dad likes to tease me about the time I cried after watching Kristi Yamaguchi at the 1992 Olympics. I begged him to let me take ice skating lessons. I wanted to be Kristi. I still remember her blue outfit (my favorite color) and her blue scrunchy. Watching Yuna, I can imagine girls around the world begging their parents for ice skating lessons. How can they not? Figure skaters are beautiful in their glittery dresses. They're powerful with their triple jumps. They're graceful with their spins and spiral sequences. A great blend of athleticism and artistry.

Anyways, back to my sports fanatic friend. We were discussing reasons we watch sports when he said something that really moved me. Using Yuna as an example, he said, "...and all those Korean ahjumas who like her too. they are living that princess life... away from repressed middle class wife-mom status." How true that is. As spectators, we're transported into the lives of these athletes, even if it's for the few mere minutes or even seconds it takes for victory. These ajumahs probably work just as hard, if not more, than Yuna. Obviously, it's in a different field with far less success, compensation and glamor. But they're working their asses off. They're putting in the time. And when they watch their beloved skater succeed in the eyes of the international community, they're succeeding by just being a part of her country, by just watching her, supporting her, cheering her on. They've become a part of her journey, learning what a lutz is, what a flying sit spin is, what under rotation is, seemingly overnight.

Sorry for the rambling and inept post. But, it is Olympic season after all and I'm a little screwy with excitement. The Olympics. It's better than Christmas. It's the REAL most wonderful time of the year, every two years.

2 comments:

Mrs. Kang said...

just watched Yuna's free skate on DVR. amay-jing! :) i cried. mainly because of her emotion afterwards.

p.s. i TOTALLY wanted to be Kristi. I practiced my jumps all the time. she is awesome. :)

Unknown said...

write about the japanese girl who cried because she didnt win~

i think its also the symbolisn of beauty that is depicted in the skating... something about beauty that is very captivating... it has its way of freeing our souls from our daily grind

we dont watch wrestling or shot-putting the same way as figure skating or dancing

PS: i TOTALLY disagree christmas vs olympic statement... Christmas all the wayy hommie